Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Yo-Yos

June.  I want to work on quilts.

My goal: touch a different quilt project (and work on it!) every day in June.

Today I am evaluating a Quilt I Rescued.  A Yo-yo Quilt.  Well.  Technically you would call it a coverlet since it has no batting and no backing.

I received it in sad shape.  

Some of the yo-yos were sewn with two large stitches of black thread.

Some of the yo-yos had visible knots in the thread that connected them.

BUT  - it is a LOVELY quilt.  44 blocks of 36 yo-yos.  1584 yo-yos!!  Half of them are muslin.  The other half are made from SWEET 30's fabrics, I think!  And the blocks are not just random scraps - they have a common color theme in each one!! 

The yo-yos are constructed well - the gathering step that actually created the yo-yo.  The stitching that holds the yo-yos together ... well... is not uniform.  It suggests the possibility that this was actually a quilt made by more than one person.  But I would like the stitching to look the same throughout the quilt.

So.  Last year I started re-sewing the yo-yos together.  I tear out the old stitching and put in new stitching.  6 whip-stitches between each pair of yo-yos.  

I have completed 23 squares.


I plan to make the quilt 7 blocks by 6 blocks - 42 altogether.  So I still have 19 blocks to re-sew.



I timed myself sewing yo-yos together.  I think it takes about 2 minutes each.

2 minutes x 60 places to stitch on each block = 2 hours per block.

19 blocks @ 2 hours each = 38 hours.

Then I still need to sew all the blocks together.

Today I worked on this.  I WILL finish it. One yo-yo at a time.  Over a few days or weeks or months.


No comments:

Post a Comment