Monday, September 3, 2012

August UFO - Almost Not Unfinished

I will catch up.  I will catch up.

I am almost ALMOST finished with my August Un Finished Object.

These blocks are a set of pinwheels made for me by a group of high school girls in 2001 or 2002.  They each secretly made me a pinwheel for my birthday using Green and Burgundy.


 I have their names on sticky notes. When the quilt is finished I will label the blocks with their names and find them on facebook.  I think it will bring back memories for them.  It was a joy to me to remember our time together and their effort at surprising me on my birthday that year.



I added two pinwheels and a burgundy frame, but did not feel it was done.

 It needed a little bit more - maybe leaving it on point and another burgundy square like this --->

Since I teach Geometry (etc.) I was sure there was an easy way to create that outer frame.  This is what I did:

I measured the first burgundy square - turns out it was a perfect 36" long.
I started with a background square that was 1/3 that length (12").
Framed it with burgundy.
And framed it with enough of the background fabric so the 
diagonal was a few inches more that 36".
I made two of these:


I cut them across the diagonal:


And I put one pair of triangles on the left:


And another pair of triangles on the right:


Now I need to sandwich the quilt. When I received these squares, my bedroom was decorated in burgundy and green.  I have saved the curtains and will use that as the back of the quilt.

(Sigh)
What great memories!
Close to finished on this UFO.


I'm linking up with Patchwork Times 2012 UFO Challenge.

Check out the other Finishes!!



CathyH

1 comment:

  1. I admire you for working on getting it done. I do not wish to think about allll my unfinished projects.

    I laughed when you stated you teach Geometry. I argued with my HS counselor that I did not need Geometry...I would never use it in my life. HA!!! I think I was a quilter for about three years when it hit me...I do use Geometry.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete