I sorted through my fabric scraps - cutting hexagons to make a
Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt with the English Paper Piecing method.
I ended up with fewer scraps. And a lot of work.
But this week, I finished sewing all the hexagons together.
The DEFINITION: "Scrap Quilt"
is seen in this quilt.
I used all kinds of fabrics - because they held so many memories
and, well, that was what was in my scrap bag!
This green flower is The First of the flowers that I sewed.
You can see the tiny stitches - and double thread on the solid green.
By the time I was stitching the last of the calicos on this flower,
I realized I did not need to double the thread.
(I was riding in a 70's VW bus with my In-Laws,
on the way to meet my husband's Grandmother)
(What a great memory!)
I have decided that the most important thing to me about my hobby of quilting is
I even enjoying THINKING about what I might make in the future. And I like to touch fabric and look at pretty colors.
And that is what I did with this quilt for 30 years.
I left the last row with the paper still basted in.
I had always said that I would never let a machine touch this quilt - after all the handwork I've invested.
But, now that I have finished, I mused out-loud to my daughters about quilting some of this with my machine, and some by hand.
They both immediately protested. And I agree. It deserves to be hand quilted.
After I had finished all the flowers, I did not like the top and bottom and I did not want to put half-flowers there. So I created the green 'leaves' to kind of even those edges. Then I decided a dark green frame would be a sweet accent. When I went to sew on the last row of light green - the hexagons were missing. You can read about THAT fiasco here.
But now I am done withe the English Paper Piecing.
I am done with Hexagons. . . at least done with THESE hexagons!
And Now I just have to hand quilt this baby.
My goal: finish hand quilting it by July 4, 2013.
(This picture is too big for the blog-post, but it just makes me happy!)