Tuesday, March 20, 2012

UFO #1 - January

Yes.  I know.  It is March.

I finished the January UFO last night.



This is a T-shirt quilt I made for my gymnast-daughter.  She had quite a career with this sport, becoming a coach for pre-schoolers after she stopped competing.

I had this quilt-top finished during the last summer Olympics (2008).  The quilt made my daughter sad, then, knowing that she would not be competing in gymnastics again.  She barely watch the Olympic Gymnasts that year.

Recently, however, this quilt has brought back fond memories.  So I added it to the list to finish.  I'm (trying) to participate in the UFO challenge at Patchwork Times.  You can see the pretty orange button on the right of my blog.  Each month quilters post pictures of the UFO they finished.  At the beginning of April I will get to show that I have actually FINISHED somethings!!




On this quilt I included some of her leotards (you can see one in the top left square above). I hand quilted on that square - just for artistic flare.  She loves rainbows - so I used fussy-cut striped fabric for the lattice pieces.



 On the Governor's Cup shirt I quilted a star around her name in the list of participants.  I think you can see the quilting here.





The quilt is complete with the autograph of the legendary coach, Bela Karolyi.


Daughter's favorite t-shirt (She must have worn this thing once a week, at least!)


The back of the quilt is primarily this black-background-rainbow-polka-dot fabric.  
I had to include this Karoyi quote, heard often in our house:

"YOO KAN DOO EAT"  

With a thick Romanian/Hungarian accent.

January UFO (Check!)
February UFO (Check!)
March UFO?  Started....

I better get to work!
Cathy H

1 comment:

  1. I love this quilt! It is so special. All memories are good when I look at it now... and it's even more special because of the love I watched you put in it.
    Hannah ;)

    ReplyDelete