Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Starburst? But there are no stars!

You may have wondered why I called the 9-patch quilt "Starburst" (See yesterday's post) . Well, it turns out that was the bride's favorite candy. . . you know - those brightly colored little square taffy-like candies that TASTE like a star burst in your mouth. I thought the squares in the 9-Patches closely resembled this candy - thus the name "Starburst" and the label:


After we arranged the colors in a pleasant order, we began to sew the squares into rows, and then the rows to each other. It went amazingly well - each row turned out square and equal in length since we used the white squares as our standard for stitching.

Then we started creating the border. My daughter always wanted it to be "little piano keys" . . I might describe it more like square lego rows. We framed the legos with white and black and ended up with a striking border all the way around the quilt.


Only rarely (once before - in my life) have I had a quilt ready for the bridal shower. This time I hoped to accomplish on-time performance. A friend had just gotten a long-arm quilting machine and was willing to quilt it for me on short notice. She did an AMAZING job!! I got the quilt back with 2 days to bind it. Mission Accomplished!! Quilt was finished for the shower.


I might have to make one of these for me!! I love the colors and the motion. I adore the border. I like the use of SCRAPS - the only thing I had to purchase was the solid black for borders and binding (I can NEVER get enough black!) and the batting.

I adding a little of the Starburst feature on the back of the quilt.




I can hardly believe that I actually FINISHED a project in one summer.
CathyH

No comments:

Post a Comment