Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pad a Hexagon

I inherited quite a few unfinished projects from my Mom. The padded hexagons provide great handwork that I can take with me just about anywhere. She had completed over 300 of the individual hexies. At Bee yesterday, someone said they would be cute as coasters. I'd have Christmas gifts made for this year already. More than 300 Christmas gifts!!! Mom always intended them to be put together into a small lap quilt, so that is how I am headed.

Mom made all her padded hexagons with a tone-on-tone/solid effect on the back (and thus the frame) and then some coordinating print on the front. Here is a picture of the size for each. (Large hexagon has 3" sides, small hexagon has 2" sides) I teach High School Math - and LOVE geometry, so I could have created these hexagons with just a ruler and a compass. But I already had hundreds of them cut and sewn - so I just used one of those as the pattern.

After you cut a large background/frame hexagon, a smaller print hexagon and a small hexagon out of batting, you place the background fabric face down, center the batting and then put the print on top of the batting.












Then you start to prepare the frame so you can sew it. Fold the background fabric so its edges meet the small hexagon's edges, then fold it once more so it overlaps onto the print about 1/4 inch. I pin each side as I make those two folds, folding one side, rotate, fold the adjacent side (move around counterclockwise) until all six sides are pinned.










Next I begin to use a hidden hem stitch, well maybe you would call it an applique stitch, to secure the frame all the way around. I keep my stitches so they are about 1/4 inch from each other, being sure to stitch at each corner to make it stay and look sharp.

Then you make hundreds of these. I have made a couple dozen of them so that I have the correct selection of colors for the layout I finally chose. They go together quickly, they are extremely portable, and they give you finished results in a short period of time (if you like coasters!).

How to put the individual hexagons together into flowers - next time!
CathyH


No comments:

Post a Comment